Sunday, February 18, 2007

Snowgaine; lesson on equipment


OK, Snowgaine took place in the snow this year and my biggest concern was warmth. We decided to opt for boots over shoes because of the depth of the snow and the fact that we were going to be hiking and not running the course. I have a pair of Wildcat boots which are very warm and water proof, that I've used for short winter hikes in the past with great success and comfort. My only concern was that they maybe to warm. So instead of using the mid-weight hiking socks I had with me, I instead chose to go with the low cut light running socks. Within the first hour of the southern route we had chosen, I realized the gravity of my poor choice in equipment. The Thinsulate lining, which is soft to the touch, was rubbing the skin off my exposed skin and we had 5 plus hours to go. As you can see, I was paying for my poor equipment decision. So don't be rash in your decisions on equipment, make sure to use properly fitted equipment and match that equipment to the activity and to the other equipment being used.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't lose any skin, but I totally agree with you on equipment choices. I wil never wear those 3 pound boots (each) for 6 hours again. It was harder to keep walking then it's ever been.

...and my pack was a stupid choice. Lugging 7 pounds of frozen water for 6 hours was pointless.

I do have all my skin though...LOL.

Anonymous said...

...and by harder to keep walking, I am including that marathon walk in wet shoes from last July.